Four children at an English language summer school were left with horrific burns after a science experiment went terrifyingly wrong.
The youngsters – aged between 9 and 12 – were supposed to be creating a volcano using baking soda and vinegar to create a safe chemical reaction.
But the experiment went horrifyingly wrong when tutors reportedly added 96-proof alcohol to the mix at their summer camp in the farmhouse in Brunyola, near the city of Girona in north-eastern Spain, on Wednesday, 5th July.
And the volatile mix sprayed the youngsters with burning foam that clung to their skin, it emerged.
Four suffered burns to their faces, chest, arms and legs, according to local media.
All were rushed to hospital with serious injuries and three were transferred to a specialist burns unit.
Government officials are now investigating the Goodson Language School, which was running the camp at a farmhouse in Brunyola.
The school has not explained why highly flammable alcohol was used in the mix when most recipes contain just baking soda, water, vinegar, food colouring and washing-up liquid.
Emergency services scrambled two paramedic helicopters and five ambulances to ferry the injured to the hospital.
Three of the four injured children were admitted to the burns unit of the Vall d’Hebron Hospital in Barcelona.
The fourth victim, who was less seriously injured, was taken to the Josep Trueta Hospital in Girona, according to local media.
The General Directorate of Youth, which reports to Spain’s Department of Social Rights has reportedly opened an investigation into the Goodson Language School to determine whether it was appropriate for the activity to take place and whether any penalties should be issued.