Mum Dies From Poisoning In Michelin-Starred Restaurant

A mother has died after apparently eating mushrooms that can be toxic if not cooked properly at a Michelin-starred restaurant on the Costa del Sol.

The 46-year-old woman is said to have died after having lunch at the Riff restaurant in Valencia, in the eastern Spanish region of the same name, which has a Michelin star.

Riff restaurant where the incident happened;

The regional Health Department has launched an investigation into the woman’s death and reports state her husband and 12-year-old son were also sick after eating at the restaurants. The woman died at home the morning after eating at the restaurant.

According to sources in the investigation, it is suspected the food poisoning came from a dish of rice and mushrooms and forensic analysis is being carried out to prove the theory.

Local media report the mushrooms in the dish are morchella, some species of which can be toxic if not cooked properly.

The restaurant will be closed until the investigation ends, according to a press statement sent by the restaurant owned by the chef Bernd H. Knoller.

The press statement also said that the chef has been cooperating with authorities to find out the causes of the death and that preliminary investigations confirmed that the restaurant had complied with all health regulations.

The victim’s husband and son are said to be recovering well from the symptoms of diarrhoea and vomiting they were suffering from.

Bernd H. Knoller, the cheff of the Michelin star restaurant;

Ana Barcelo, the head of the Health Department in the region, told local media that she regretted the death of the woman and said that the corresponding protocol has been activated.

This means that a preliminary check of the restaurant had been carried out and so far “everything is normal” but there will be further analysis of the food and other food products.

The restaurant has held a Michelin star for 10 years and the chef reportedly has 42 years of experience.

The investigation is ongoing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *